The title of our blog has reference to the location of our first home together, here in southeastern Idaho on a little ranch in Sugar City,"where only sweet things grow".

Monday, October 4, 2010

Social Class & Cultural Diversity

The week taking us into the 180th Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was an interesting one for me in my Family Relations class. 
We viewed videos about social classes and how their individual backgrounds affect human lives. For Wednesday's class we read chapter 2 from our textbook concerning Diversity and attempted to discuss our discoveries in Friday's class.
I agree with my fellow classmate who made the comment that, after watching viewing and reading the assignments last week, "it was tough listening to such judgmental and critical perspectives after having listened to President Monson's address to the general Relief Society of the world".
I'm of the opinion that exposing myself to the written theories and published documentaries of the society I am apart of helps me better understand the world around me. Though not only will my understanding increase, respect of, and appreciation for those around me but I will grow into a better disciple of Jesus Christ. 
Along with my social science courses this Fall I am also studying statistics and the religions of the world. This course combination has been teaching me so much about the diversity in the world around me. I'm trying to learn how I can continue standing for truth and righteousness amidst a world full of information. What is worth my continued learning and what isn't?
I'm excited to review the words of the Prophets and leaders of the Lord's church on the earth today. I have faith that the Holy Ghost will enlighten my understanding of Heavenly Father's plan for my happiness while I seek secular knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment